I've made another jersey dress! And I love it! I used the second pattern I talked about here, figuring why change a winning concept? =) Thank you so much for the input in the comments! I took your advices to my heart and have decided to drop the first pattern and focus on perfecting this one.
These pictures were taken during our last in-doors social (lindy hop to a great live band) last weekend.
The front. You can see I made an attempt at the hairdo Sara made for me in Stockholm, still need to practice a bit...
From the back. The chevron-pattern on the bodice goes in opposite direction from the pattern on the skirt. It would have been clearer with a true bias, but I was short on fabric. The whole dress came out of 1,4 metres, 150 cm width. There was nothing but tiny scraps left! The neckband creates some ripples, because it's actually a bit too short as I ran out of fabric...
Some construction details: I shortened the bodice 1,5 cm /1", and the skirt 2 cm. I felt the skirt became a little bit too short, so I might add those 2 cm back. This time I stablilized the midriff piece with fusible knit interfacing, as you can see above.
As all the seams were cut on some kind of bias, I sewed in stablizing tape in all the vertical seams, as well as the underbust seam and the shoulders. To the waist-seam I added a 5mm elastic, to help hold up the weight of the skirt.
With the fusible and the tape, this make feels like it has a much higher quality and durability than the first jersey dress I made with this pattern, and I have a hunch there will be more dresses from this pattern! =)
All in all, I'm happy with this make, and I've already worn it twice!
Although the future def holds more jersey projects for me, right now I'm back to sewing wovens. I'm working on a very summer-y blouse+skirt combo, a nice little fluff project =)