Saturday 27 February 2010

A wednesday surprise

Wednesday my sister kidnapped me for the evening. First we had dinner at her place and then we went out to take the bus to a for me unknown destination. Turned out she was treating me to a night at the movies! How sweet is that? We saw "Sherlock Holmes", that I've been wanting to see for ages.


I'm not sure it's supposed to be a comedy, but me and Kajsa sure laughed and giggled the whole movie, so for us it was a comedy. With a little bit of exitement, romance, pretty clothes and wonderful eye-candy in the shape och Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr.


In my early adolecence I was a huge fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and I've read almost every Sherlock Holmes mystery there is. This new pair of Holmes-Watson was quite far from the novels, for those of you who haven't seen it: think The league of extrodinary gentlemen meets Jack Sparrow. Great fun and wonderful photage =)


One thing I found interesting was the combination of magic and technology. It brings to mind an earlier era when technology was new and it seemed possible anything could be done with it, when magic was seen as an extension of technique. I did like that they gave a logical explanation to almost everything in the end (I can ignore what they chosed not to explain), it feels very Conan Doyle.


Perhaps they felt the need to make Holmes a bit more lovebel, and thus set the movie in a time before the first novel. Downey's Holmes is not yet a morphine-adict, he's active (a boxer!) and he's still a bit interested in the world around him. Jude Law's Watson is far from Doyle's married, rounded, shy man. No, there's nothing rounded or a bit timid about him when he battles villains with superb fighting skills =)

I liked that they included Irene Adler, the only one that ever outsmarted Holmes and who we never get's to meet in the novels. Making her Holmes lost love actually makes sense, since the novels carries within them a tragic love story that's never really spoken of (if my memory serves me correct).


Not a movie that will change my life, but one that gave me incredible joy and fun for an evening, and one I'll see again in the future.
Have you seen the movie? Or read the novels? What did you think?

Love, Erika

5 comments:

Elin said...

såg den i förra veckan :) Tyckte den va riktigt bra, har dock aldrig läst böckerna, men en kompis sa att den här filmens karaktärer var mer lika dem i böckerna än i föregående filmer.

Sarah said...

Hej tjejen! Förlåt jag har inte sett ditt inlägg i min blogg:( Jag jobbar på Sax (Renmarkstorget) Tel. 090770419. Fråga efter Sarah Wing. Det vore jätte kul att göra ditt hår!
Med vänlig hälsn. /Frk Wing

Erika said...

Elin; vad kul att du fick se den innan du for iväg över halva världen! Hmm, jag har inte sett tidigare filmer, så kan inte riktigt svara på det. Men visst hade de tydliga drag från böckerna. Upplevde som sagt dock karaktärerna som yngre varianter på de i böckerna. Men det var länge sen jag läste dem! =)

Hej Sarah! Det gör inget, men vad roligt att du såg det nu! Super, då kommer jag definitivt boka tid hos dig när det närmar sig nästa klippning (tror jag siktar på skiftet april/maj). Tack så jättemycket för kontaktuppgifterna!

Ha det bra!

Camilla Kästner said...

Vi var och såg den dirket när den kom, och jag älskade den. Vi har ju en av serierna hemma med Jeremy Brett och där gillar jag inte Watson, men här gillar jag honom skarpt.

Det skall tydligen komma en till och jag är defenetivt nyfiken på vad den har med sig...

Erika said...

Oh, ska det komma en till med Downey/Law?!!! Jag har tyvär inte sett de tidigare serierna, men älskade Law som Watson. Å andra sidan tycker jag oftast att han är bra... Så otroligt snygg och duktig! =)